27 Nov Wonderful oats
I guess everyone knows that oats are very beneficial for our health, but I can understand that it sounds completely boring to eat a bowl of oats. I always eat oats for breakfast, depending on how much time I have, I either make a simple oatmeal, a mugcake or pancakes. It’s easy and don’t take much of your time.
Health benefits of oats:
- They contain a good balance of essential fatty acids, which have been linked with longevity and general good health, and also have one of the best amino acid profiles of any grain.
- Oats are a good source of essential vitamins such as thiamin, folic acid, biotin, pantothenic acid and vitamin E. They also contain zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium.
- When you eat soluble fiber like oatmeal, it dissolves in your stomach and forms a gel. This process has several health benefits. You’ll feel satisfied for longer and tend to eat less because it takes longer for soluble fiber to pass through your system. So on the one hand it keeps you full longer (which is good for me because I am hungry aaall the tiiime. hehe :D) and it can help with weight loss. Soluble fibers also help to lower cholesterol, and because they tend to resist digestion, they don’t raise your blood sugar as do other carbohydrates.
- Oats, like other grains and vegetables, contain hundreds of phytochemicals (plant chemicals). Many phytochemicals are thought to reduce a person’s risk of getting cancer.
- It’s the number one source of carbohydrates for athletes!
How I eat my oats:
– In a bowl mix 1/2 cup (50g) oats, sweetener of choice (stevia, honey), any spices (raw cacao or cinnamon, vanilla extract) and about a little more water (or milk) than oats.
– You can cook it in a pot, or like I do just cook in the microwave on max. heat for about 1 minute
– You can add 1 egg white (or more), stir and cook again for 1-2 more minutes until you reach your desired consistency.
– Top with wathever you want! I usually use some frozen berries, fruits, some kind of seeds (flax seeds, chia seeds), some milk and of course don’t forget the peanutbutter! Enjoy! 😀